job listingsContact MAGCS to submit your listing or phone 630-685-2420.
Assistant Superintendent – River Forest Country Club
River Forest Country Club is a private 18-hole club located approximately 20 miles west of downtown Chicago in Elmhurst, IL. The club was established in 1926, and is a classic parkland style golf course. The club’s additional amenities include a clubhouse, pool and pool house, and asphalt tennis courts. The club is located on 145 acres and boasts narrow tree lined bentgrass / poa annua fairways and small, fast, round, bentgrass / poa annua greens.
A two year or four year degree in Turfgrass Management or related field. At least one successful season as a student intern.
At least two years experience working on a golf course; will consider spring 2018 graduates. Please list any specialized training or experiences.
We are seeking an energetic candidate with the “Do what it takes” attitude to assist the superintendent and first assistant in all duties associated with maintaining the grounds of a private club. The candidate will possess a positive attitude and have the ability to work well independently or with other members of the team. The second assistant will work closely with the superintendent and first assistant to ensure that the best playing conditions are being met on a daily basis. The second assistant will gain knowledge in all aspects of golf course management including, but not limited to chemical and fertilizer applications, course set-up, irrigation repair, drainage repair and instillation, proper hand watering techniques, landscape maintenance and design, and crew supervision.
Benefits: Meals, uniform allowance from pro shop, medical, dental, vision, 401K after 1 year, dues paid for local and national associations, opportunity to attend national conference, opportunity to attend local meetings and seminars, and golf privileges.
Contact Information: Please send resume to Brian Kimbrough: email@example.com
Date Posted: 4/30/18
Greens Worker - Bowes Creek Country Club
SALARY: $22.59 - $32.27 Hourly $46,991.00 - $67,130.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 04/18/18 CLOSING DATE: 05/02/18 11:59 PM
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Under direction, performs activities necessary for the care, upkeep and maintenance of a city golf course to include; grounds maintenance, pest, weed and disease eradication; and the operation, maintenance and repair of essential machinery and equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Checks golf course grounds for identification of area requiring pest or weed control and identifies need for turf disease eradication; mixes and applies appropriate chemical solutions and treatments as prescribed by Greens Superintendent.
Maintains, repairs and adjusts a variety of machinery, equipment, and tools used in golf course and park operations; performs needed repairs to in ground watering system. Performs maintenance activities required for the care and upkeep of golf grounds including, but not limited to, the following: mows and trims greens, fairways, tees, and all peripheral golf areas; sickles weeds; rakes sand traps; irrigates grounds; seeds and fertilizes areas as directed by the Superintendent; prunes, trims, and plants trees, shrubs etc.
May work at a major city park location during the golf off-season; performs various activities including maintenance of equipment and facilities; removal of ice and snow and preparation of skating rinks for winter use.
Performs other duties as required or assigned.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 80 pounds of force occasionally, up to 40 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for reading and preparing written or computer reports, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, and operation of motor vehicles or equipment; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, noise, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. Regular attendance is an essential function of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Requires working knowledge of mechanics necessary for operation, repair, and maintenance of golf course machinery, equipment and tools; working knowledge of golf course terminology; working knowledge of horticulture as it relates to the cultivation, grooming and care of trees, shrubs, and other plant life; ability to operate tractors with auxiliary attachments, gang mowers, mulchers, plows, etc; ability to operate, maintain and repair machinery, equipment and tools; ability to determine watering needs of golf grounds and provide appropriate amounts of water; ability to mow golf grounds at appropriate cutting lengths; ability to detect areas in need of weed and pest control; ability to mix, calibrate and apply chemicals and fertilizers; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to provide guidance and direction to subordinate maintenance workers; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, fellow workers, and the general public. Demonstrative knowledge of the use and application of electronic mail systems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Must have a high school diploma or a GED and two years experience in golf course maintenance operation.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires possession of a current pesticide applicators license. Requires possession of a valid Illinois Class A CDL Driver's License.
Applicants must pass a written exam to be considered for an interview. The written exam will be held on Friday, May 11, 2018. Time, location and self-registration details will be provided to candidates who have applied after the closing date for this posting.
The chosen candidate must submit to and have approved results for fingerprinting, a physical, driving record review, and drug test.
This is a class description and not an individualized job specification. The class description defines the general character and scope of duties, responsibilities, and requirements of all positions in one job classification, but is not totally restrictive or all inclusive.
Old Oak Country Club
The position is available immediately.
Golf Course Superintendent
Date Posted: 4/19/18
Elgin Country Club
The assistant superintendent will:
- Work closely with, and under direction of, the golf course superintendent
- Be involved with both daily and long term planning of golf course operations
- Hire, train and supervise grounds crew
- Apply pesticides and fertilizers
- Supervise projects
- Two or four year degree in turf-grass management
- Two years practical golf course experience
- Have or ability to obtain Illinois Pesticide Operators License
Contact: Phil Zeinert at firstname.lastname@example.org, 847-622-4823
- $45,000 annual salary
- Health Insurance
- Chapter dues and expenses for GCSAA conference and monthly meetings
Date Posted: 4/17/18
Evanston Golf Club is looking for an Assistant Superintendent who has a passion for all facets of the game of golf and is serious about advancing their career towards becoming a Golf Course Superintendent. Candidate must have a positive attitude, work well as a team player and most of all, have fun while growing in this profession.
Evanston Golf Club is a high-end private country club located 13 miles north of Wrigley Field. Originally designed by Donald Ross in 1917, Evanston Golf Club went through an extensive renovation in 2007. In the years since our major renovation we have adopted an updated Master Plan that includes; expanding and adding tees boxes, adding native fescue areas throughout course, expanding greens surfaces to original Donald Ross fill pads, widening fairways as well as installing a new pump station and irrigation system.
This June we will be hosting the Western Junior Amateur Championship. This will be an exciting opportunity to gain tournament experience.
- Desire to learn and grow as a turf professional.
- Associate or Bachelor degree in Turfgrass Management, Agronomy, Plant & Soil Science preferred.
- Previous golf course experience desired.
- Must possess or be able to obtain an Illinois Pesticide Applicators License.
- Candidate must be a highly motivated individual with a great attention to detail.
- Club/Employee paid health and life insurance
- On-site housing is available Paid vacation
- Club matching 401K up to 4%
- Dues for local and national associations
- Expenses paid for local, regional and national shows
- Golf privileges
- UniformsContact: Dan Charlton, Evanston Golf Club
Date Posted: 4/9/18
ASSISTANT GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT
IDLEWILD COUNTRY CLUB, FLOSSMOOR, ILLINOIS
Course Description: 18-Hole Private Country Club established in 1908 located in Flossmoor, IL. The course plays to 6,700 yards on Bent/Poa Greens, Tees, & Fairways and hosts 19,000 annual rounds.
Job Description: To assist the Superintendent and Grounds Staff in providing the membership with the desired course conditions. Duties include but not limited to; golf course maintenance, supervision & training of staff, purchasing responsibility, irrigation system management, plant protectant and fertilizer applications, and maintenance of clubhouse lawns, flower gardens, trees, and ornamental plantings.
Requirements: Associate or Bachelor degree in Turfgrass Management, Agronomy, Plant & Soil Science, or equivalent training and experience. Three years of golf course experience and must possess or be able to obtain an Illinois Pesticide Applicators License.
Salary: $38,000 to $45,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Benefits: Life and Health insurance, paid annual vacation, 401k program, meals, golfing privileges, dues for local & national associations, and expenses for attending regional seminars.
Additional Information: Looking for an individual with some experience but more importantly a responsible individual with the desire & motivation to learn and work within the “team” framework. Future irrigation system upgrade, In-House golf course renovation, and course maintenance are key experiences that will be achieved as the Assistant Superintendent at Idlewild Country Club.
Send/Email Resume to:
Idlewild Country Club
Attention: Kurt Sams, CGCS
P.O. Box 285
Flossmoor, IL 60422
Position Available:May 1st, 2018
Application Deadline:April 20th, 2018
Date Posted: 4/5/18
Assistant Superintendent – Northmoor Country Club, Highland Park, IL
As a 27 hole golf facility, our golf course operations department utilizes a 3 Assistant Superintendent staffing. We are seeking interested individuals for both a 1st and 3rd Assistant Superintendent position. We are seeking a 1st Assistant Superintendent who possesses a minimum of 2-3 year’s experience in a major supervision role at a golf facility. The 3rd Assistant Superintendent position, can have less experience but will also have a supervisory role. The 3rd Assistant will be exposed to every phase of golf course maintenance including, but not limited to: Equipment repair, irrigation controls and repair, pesticide applications, operating every piece of equipment, office tasks, budgeting, committee meetings, local chapter Superintendent meetings, etc. This is an excellent opportunity to receive experience in every phase of the profession. Northmoor CC is a private 27 hole golf facility located on the golf rich North Shore of Chicago. Our mission statement is to compete in course quality and golfing experience with many of the nationally recognized courses in the Chicagoland area. Our management team will be totally committed to assisting you in developing the skill sets and networking that will aide you in pursuit of your career goals. The club has a full membership with a waiting list and is in a strong financial position. We will begin a BBB bunker renovation project in September of 2018.
Salary - Both positons are open for immediate hiring and have a wage rate and ranges commensurate with experience. The 1st Assistant position is a salary position and may range in the $60,000 plus category. The 3rd Assistant may either be hourly or salary depending on the candidate.
Exact benefits can be discussed as necessary. Basic benefits include:
Housing, professional association dues, clothing allowance, vacation-holiday and sick pay, time and a half overtime pay, lunch, meeting expenses, golfing privileges, and housing etc. Paid GIS attendance.
Experience: Prefer applicants with a minimum of 2-3 years of golf course maintenance experience with some degree of supervisory responsibilities.
Special Skills: Seeking an individual that aspires to become an outstanding Golf Course Superintendent. Must have the ability to follow instruction, deliver attention to detail performance, have a basic familiarity of golf course etiquette, ability to communicate with all team members, have an understanding of the game of golf, willingness to learn, ability to earn an Illinois spray applicators license, and have a strong work ethic.
Min Experience: 2-3 Years
Entry Level: Yes
Tommy Witt, CGCS
1036 Edgewood Road
Highland Park, IL 60047
Date posted: 4/2/18
Golf Course Operations Assistant in Training - Internship
Northmoor Country Club - Highland Park, Illinois
The intern will be exposed to every phase of golf course maintenance including, but not limited to: Equipment repair, irrigation controls and repair, pesticide applications, operating every piece of equipment, office tasks, budgeting, committee meetings, local chapter Superintendent meetings, etc. This is an excellent opportunity to receive experience in every phase of the profession.
Salary: $12.00 – 14.00 Hourly plus overtime
Duties: The individual will be exposed to every facet of Golf Course Maintenance & involved in budgeting, fertilizing, pesticide applications, irrigation repair, equipment repair, small projects, golf course setup, equipment operation and supervision
Benefits: Meals, Expense involved in attending local education seminars, Golfing Privileges, Facility pays for expenses associated with interviewing (i.e. travel and hotel), Uniforms/clothing allowance, Housing
Responsible to: Tommy Witt, CGCS
Application Deadline: Open
Date Position is Available: Immediately
Send Resume to:
Tommy Witt, CGCS
1036 Edgewood Road
Highland Park, Illinois 60047
Phone: 847-926-5540 Fax: 847-632-0634 Cell – 847 370 9666
GCSAA Member: N/A
GCSAA Certification: N/A
Education: Applicant should be enrolled in a university turf-grass management program.
Experience: Prefer applicants with at least one previous year of golf course maintenance experience.
Special Skills: Must have the ability to follow instruction, deliver attention to detail performance, and have a basic familiarity of golf course etiquette.
Course Operation: Private Membership; Irrigation System: Central Control
Number of Holes: 27 Holes; Annual Rounds: 18,000
Greens: Creeping bentgrass; Fairways: Creeping bentgrass
Course Yardage: 6,500; Maintenance Budget: $1,975,000
Requirements: Applicants will be exposed to every phase of a golf course maintenance operation as he or she displays the ability to deliver a detailed and responsible performance. This can either be a seasonal or full time position depending on the current employment or educational schedule of the applicant. We are looking for an individual that aspires to set themselves apart and positions themselves for future career success. The applicant will be expected to use their educational and job experience to contribute in every way to a golf course operations team that is expected to provide daily tournament quality playing conditions.
Date Posted: 4/2/18
Job Title: Equipment Technician
Club/Course/Firm: Whisper Creek Golf Course
Address: 13466 Sun City Blvd.
State: IL Zip/Postal: 60142
Contact Name: Andy Weadge
Phone: (630) 418-2678
Educational Requirements: High School diploma, preferred. Additional schooling in engine repair field a plus but not required.
- Mechanic will assist in maintaining course conditions
- Must be highly organized, efficient and detail oriented maintain equipment repair logs
- Conduct an effective preventative maintenance program on all equipment
- Perform major and minor mechanical repairs on all golf course equipment /golf carts
- Assist in providing a safe work culture and manage staff when called upon
- 1-3 years Mechanic experience
- Knowledge of small engine repair
- Experience in golf course equipment repair but not required
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely
- Ability to inspect equipment and related component
- Must be highly motivated, goal driven and self-starter
- Must have the ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Moderate exposure to extreme cold, heat, working outdoors, chemicals, pesticides, gasoline, vibration, mechanical hazards and electrical hazards. Work extended hours during golf season.
- Moderate physical activity including sitting, standing, walking, crouching/stooping/ squatting, crawling, twisting upper body, climbing and lifting an average of 60 lbs.
Salary Range: Hourly: $19.00-$22.50
Benefits: Health/Dental/Vision insurance, paid vacation and holidays, sick leave, short-term disability insurance, 401(k), golf privileges, and upside growth potential with our established and expanding company.
Date Available: April 9, 2018
Comments: Whisper Creek Golf Course is owned by Billy Casper Golf. Since 1989, Billy Casper Golf has successfully developed and managed golf courses for public agencies and private owners, growing into the most innovative and progressive golf course management company in the nation. Today the corporation’s reach stretches from Hawaii to Massachusetts, encompassing more than 150 managed golf facilities. Here at Billy Casper Golf, we pride ourselves on our team atmosphere. This position will focus on growth and the learning process of operating daily-fee and municipal golf courses. This is a great step for someone who wants to develop and advance their career within the golf course industryOdyssey Golf Course - Assistant Golf Course Mechanic
Web Site Address: http://www.whispercreekgolf.com
Date Posted: 3/26/18
Odyssey golf course in Tinley Park, IL, is looking for an assistant golf course mechanic. This is an entry-level position. This position will give you an opportunity to learn equipment trouble shooting, fabrication and repairs.Contact:
Tinley Park IL,
Date Posted: 3/26/18
Golf Course Mechanic
Northmoor Country Club in Highland Park, IL is looking for a golf course mechanic.
Position available immediately.
Tommy Witt, CGCS
Date Posted: 3/19/18
Golf Course Mechanic - White Pines Golf Club
The Golf Course Mechanic is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all golf course equipment for the 36 hole White Pines Golf Club & Banquets. This includes but is not limited to mowers, maintenance carts, tractors, and golf course service vehicle. Must be able to create a healthy working relationship with the current Park District Mechanic.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Ability to work proactively relative to equipment maintenance and repairs to minimize equipment downtime and loss of staff productivity
- Maintain detailed records for equipment and parts equipment condition, repair costs and preventive maintenance of all equipment
- Proficient in diagnosing and repairing Tier 4 engines
- Prioritize equipment repair and maintenance work relative to golf course operations
- Maintains inventory of shelf stock of repair parts, nuts and bolts, belts, hoses
- Maintain a clean, organized work environment inside and outside
- Adjust mowers correctly to the superintendent’s standards
- Assists and provides technical expertise to golf course cart mechanic as necessary
- Welding, engine rebuilding, ability to read hydraulic and wiring schematics
- More complex equipment includes GA60, Toro 5210 fairway mowers, Toro 3100 & 3150 greens mowers, Toro Multipro 5800 sprayers
- Winter duties include servicing over 60 pieces including filter change, safety inspection, repair/replace worn out or broken parts
- Physical work involving kneeling, bending, stretching and lifting objects of 50 lbs.
- A high school graduation or GED
- Minimum of 5 years experience in engine and/or auto repair in a fast paced golf course environment
- Proficiency in arc and acetylene welding
- Ability to read and write English and interpret manufacturer’s service and repair manuals
- Computer skills to update maintenance records and inventories
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required
JOB STATUS: Full Time
DEPARTMENT: White Pines Golf Club & Banquets
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SALARY: $41,600 - $50,000
HOURS: 40 hours per week
HOW TO APPLY Qualified applicants should submit application and resume with (3) professional reference to Aaron Hill at Ahillwhitepinesgolf@gmail.com. Position open until filled.
Date Posted: 3/13/18
Turfgrass Interns (2)
Evanston Golf Club,
Evanston Golf Club is a high-end private country club located 15 miles north of downtown Chicago. Originally designed by Donald Ross in 1917, Evanston Golf Club went through an extensive renovation in 2007. In the years since our major renovation we have adopted an updated Master Plan that includes; expanding and adding tees boxes, adding native fescue areas throughout course, expanding greens surfaces to original Donald Ross fill pads, widening fairways as well as installing a new pump station and irrigation system.
We are seeking two motivated turfgrass interns for the 2018 season that are willing to learn all aspects of golf course maintenance. This position has the potential to turn into a full-time Assistant Superintendent position upon graduation.
The interns will work closely with the Superintendent and be involved in many parts of the daily operation including but not limited to;
- Daily scheduling
- Irrigation repair and installation
- Chemical and fertilizer applications
- Drainage installation and repair
- Equipment operation
- Crew management
- Hand watering
- Disease scouting
- Desire to learn and grow as a turf professional.
- Must be enrolled in a turf school program.
- Previous golf course experience desired.
- Candidate must be a highly motivated individual with a great attention to detail.
- Must be able to communicate well, have a positive attitude and work well as a team player.
- $15 /hour plus overtime.
- 2 bedroom house on site with all utilities included.
- Uniforms provided.
- Golfing privileges.
- Educational opportunities.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
Please email cover letter and resume to Daniel Charlton, Golf Course Superintendent at email@example.com.
Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
Ruffled Feathers Golf Club
Partner with the Superintendent to direct and coordinate golf course maintenance activities such as maintaining quality course condition quality; selecting, developing and retaining employees; exceeding guest expectations.
Primary Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist with recruiting, interviewing, selection and hiring golf course maintenance staff.
- Effectively lead and schedule staff to ensure a quality product. Continually follow up to ensure tasks are being completed timely and to the appropriate standards and that equipment is set up and operating properly.
- Ensure daily course set up meets company and USGA playing standards.
- Proactively identify and correct agronomic problems that may arise.
- Ensure staff receives proper safety and job skills training through group training, on the job training, communication, meetings, etc.
- Evaluate, create and implement fertilizer and pesticide programs. Ensure equipment is operating properly and calibrated correctly prior to each application.
- Evaluate and assess equipment management, operation and set up.
- Maintains constant communication between departments.
- Two-year Turf grass Maintenance degree and supervisory experience required.
- Three years golf course maintenance experience with progressive responsibility required.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a pesticide license within the first three months of start.
- Working knowledge of turf grass maintenance equipment and irrigation systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, planning and organizational skills
- Experience supervising others and leading a team
Will often be required to work weekends and holidays.
Physical / Cognitive Activities:
This description of physical and mental activities is not intended to describe essential job functions. Rather, its purpose is to give the job applicant a feel for the physical and mental activities of the job to the end that an applicant with a disability can determine whether he or she will be able to do this job either with or without accommodations.
The major responsibilities of this position are to organize maintenance department activities and lead the golf course maintenance staff. Strong leadership and problem-solving skills will be used. This person will need to have strong speaking, reading and writing skills, for effective communication throughout the golf course.
This person will occasionally assist in carrying heavy items requiring lifting of up to 70 pounds. He or she will also spend some time moving about the golf course supervising the staff.
Andrew W. Redding
Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
Canal Shores Golf Course
Canal Shores is an 18-hole executive golf facility nestled within the municipalities of Evanston and Wilmette. The 82-acre property was founded in 1919 and designed by renowned Golf Course Architect Tom Bendelow.
Canal Shores prides itself in promoting youth golf and community engagement while also upholding environmental stewardship. We’ve recently completed a comprehensive Ecological Master Plan and are currently in the process of planning a full-scale multi-faceted course renovation.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum Two-Year degree in Turfgrass Management or related field
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a State of Illinois Pesticide Applicators license within 30 days of employment
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Hands on participation in all tasks related to maintaining the golf course – must be well versed in all aspects of course maintenance.
- Irrigation troubleshooting and repair
- Pesticide & Fertilizer applications
- Detailed record keeping of Pesticide & Fertilizer applications
- Staff management and supervision
- Participation in Grounds & Greens Committee and Board of Directors Meetings
- Participation in public meetings and community outreach programs
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary: $40,000 Annually
- Health Insurance Subsidy
- Discretionary Bonus
- Paid Vacation & Sick Days
- Golf Privileges
- Dues paid for MAGCS & GCSAA
Please submit cover letters, resumes, and list of professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Golf Course Web Site: www.canalshores.org
Tony Frandria - Golf Course Superintendent
Position available immediately (posted 3/5/18)
Assistant Golf Course Superintendent - Chicago Highlands Club
Opened in May 2010, Chicago Highlands Club is the first private family oriented club built in the Chicago area in over 80 years. The club occupies 275 acres just 12 miles west of downtown Chicago and is dedicated to the enjoyment of its members. The 18-hole Arthur Hills championship golf course is the highlight of the club. The course measures 7500 yards from the tips and boasts an extensive practice facility to include a double ended range, a short game area and three practice holes. The sprawling links style layout is reminiscent of the Scottish Highlands and is unlike any course in the Chicagoland area. With a premium being placed on course conditioning, Chicago Highlands Club has quickly become recognized among the elite clubs in the Chicago area.
The Assistant Golf Course Superintendent (AGCS) will play an integral role in the development and implementation of all agronomic strategies to ensure that member standards for superior course conditioning and presentation are met on a daily basis. Qualified candidates will display dedication to the profession and the desire to become a Golf Course Superintendent. The AGCS will utilize exceptional organization, interpersonal, and communication skills to plan, execute and supervise daily maintenance operations. Beyond typical daily responsibilities he/she will be directly responsible for crew performance and morale with specific emphasis on employee training and development. The AGCS will play a fundamental role in creating and maintaining a culture that strives for excellence. This culture should be evident throughout every facet of the golf maintenance operation. Dedication, attention to detail, accountability, and integrity are necessary character traits of the AGCS.
- - Scouting & course set up
- - Staff training & supervision
- - Chemical & fertilizer calibrations & applications
- - Irrigation scheduling, operation, troubleshooting & repair
- - Hand watering & syringing
- - Project management
- - Budget & purchasing
Salary & Benefits:
- - Bachelors or Associates Degree in Turfgrass Management or related field
- - Fall 2017 / Spring 2018 graduates encouraged to apply
- - Two years of golf course experience with progressive responsibilities
- - One or more competitive internship(s) at high end facility
- - Spanish speaking skills preferred
Contact: Charles Cull, 708-409-3323, email: Jcull421@gmail.com
- - $48,000 – 58,000 annually (Commensurate with experience)
- - 2 weeks paid vacation
- - Local & National Chapter dues paid / expenses for GCSAA conference
- - Uniform allowance
- - Meals
- - Golfing privileges
- - Health insurance reimbursement
- - Retirement plan
Date Posted: 2/15/18
Position Title: Assistant Superintendent
Job Location: Cantigny Golf, Wheaton, Illinois
Position Reports To: Director of Agronomy
Send Resume To: Steve Kuretsky: SKuretsky@Cantigny.org
Cantigny Golf, part of the Chicago-based Robert R. McCormick Foundation and located on the former Wheaton (IL) estate of Robert R. McCormick, stands apart as perhaps the finest public golf facility in the Midwest. Cantigny’s 27-hole layout is both challenging and scenic, while its award winning Par 3 Youth Links course is instrumental in Cantigny’s efforts to grow the game. When Cantigny opened in 1989 it was named “Best New Public Course in America” by Golf Digest. Since then it has been recognized as a “Top 100 Public Course” and hosted many prestigious tournaments including The Western Junior Championship in 2006, The 82nd U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship in 2007, a four time host of The Illinois State Amateur Championship since 1996, as well as the Chicago Open in 2013 and 2014. Designed by Roger Packard, Cantigny’s Woodside, Lakeside and Hillside nines weave their way through native oak, maple and hickory trees, over and around lakes and streams. The signature hole is Lakeside No. 9, named “Dick Tracy” after the fairway bunker that resembles the famous comic strip character. The unique bunker is one of several features on the course that that pay homage to Colonel McCormick, the long-time editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. He passed away in 1955 and designated his 500-acre Cantigny estate as a gift to the community.
The Assistant Superintendent will: Work closely with the Director of Agronomy on the planning and implementing of the budget, operating plans, as well as train and supervise the staff, Assist the Director of Agronomy and other Assistants in managing both Cantigny Golf, and the Cantigny Youth Links, and will be involved in all activities related to the care and maintenance of the entire 36-hole facility and its equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement staffing schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved with high efficiency.
- Supervise and perform various maintenance duties to maintain the golf course in proper playing conditions according to company standards.
- Supervise all planting, fertilizing and care of turf, plants, shrubs, and trees on the golf course and grounds.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a fertilizer, aeration and Integrated Pest Management program for proper turf grass and plant care.
- Ensure maintenance of all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards including, but not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair areas, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas, receiving areas, washing areas, lunch room areas, restrooms, etc.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, relating to chemical and fertilizer storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
- Manage employment activities for applicable staff members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training, compensation, discipline and termination, etc.
- Maintain accurate records pertaining to department activities including, but not limited to, labor schedules, course maintenance, construction activities, equipment repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control practices.
- Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
- Perform other duties as appropriate.
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in a Turfgrass related field, B.S. or B.A. preferred.
- 3 years golf course maintenance, supervisory and/or management experience.
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, staff management.
- Demonstrated quality written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus, but not a requirement.
Compensation and Benefits:
Date Posted: 2/15/18
- Salary 45,000 – 55,000 depending on experience
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D, Long and Short Disability, 401k
- Vacation and Sick Time
- Golf privileges
- Local and National Association Dues
- Educational opportunities